Monday, November 10, 2003

Loosely attached the steering shaft assembly. It looks like it goes together pretty easy, so it should get tightened down later this week. Tightened down the pedal box, the gas pedal is not tightly fastened per the instructions. It is actually held up with an elastic and some masking tape.

The pedal box story: The first time I tightened everything down the brake pedal was obviously not perpendictular. So, short of pending the brake and clutch pedals I shimmed the left side of the pedal box with 3 washers. While this straightened out the pedals, it shifted the bolt holes for both the master cylinder and the front pedal box mounting holes. This required a little bit of "persuasion", but in the end it all went together.

The sterring shaft story: The lower pillow block bearing didn't want to fit over the lower steering shaft. So, I had to clean/polisth the lower 5 inches of the shaft so it would slip on. Now, the question becomes, what do I do with the rest of the steering shaft? I'm thinking about polishing it, and clear coating it. Since it will be one of those things that you can see when the hood is up, I should try to make it look pretty.

And I guess it's worth mentioning, that I can turn the steering shaft by hand and it moves the spindle as it should. I need to order my wheels soon, but the wife is not too happy with my spending habits since she is trying to budget/buy Christmas presents.