Monday, March 01, 2004

The headers are on!!! What a total pain in the butt. It took me nearly 4 hours to install them. Mainly because the gasket holes were not opened enough, so that when I was trying to thread in the bolt, I would run into the gasket. Fearing cross threading the bolts, I filed some of the gasket holes a hair bigger, so they didn't get in the way. The second major pain, was getting a wrench on the bolts. There is no room in the engine bay to begin with, then on top of that, the bolts barely fit past the exhaust tubes.

I got the old radiator cap position capped off with a dry seal rubber plug thing. It's on there solid, and I hope it will hold. I have been told by the "experts" that this should work. I also picked up 2 hose clamps, and clamped off the last of the radiator hoses.

BTW, you can't fill the transmission without the drive shaft in place. The fluid will fall out the hole where the drive shaft goes in. I will have to wait on the correct drive shaft before I can finish filling the transmission.

I looked at a bunch of cars in Austin, and payed special attention to the throttle cable setups. I think I'm going to go with a "S" curve and stick with the standard mounting. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to order the parts I need tomorrow.

Here is the current plan. Tuesday, I will call AMP and see what the status on my drive shaft is, and I will order a throttle cable and mounting bracket. Thursday night, after I come back from Denver, I plan on doing a few hours of wiring. Friday I plan on stopping by the friendly neighborhood gas station with my trusty 3 gal gas can. I will continue with the wiring as necessary on Friday night. Saturday (hopefully a nice sunny day), I will drop the gas tank and flush it out first with acetone, then with a small amount of gasoline. Here is the problem, if the drive shaft has arrived before Saturday night, then it will get installed, and I will fill the transmission. If it has not arrived, then the whole starting the engine on Sunday will be put on hold. If everything goes as planned, then Sunday I will fill the radiator and gas tank, and turn the key.

Updated First Start List
  • DONE! Buy wire crimping/stripping/cutting tool
  • DONE! Install headers
  • Wire up the engine and ignition switch
  • Clean Gas Tank and buy some gas
  • DONE! Install Remote Radiator Filler
  • DONE! Buy a cap for remote filler
  • DONE! Figure out what to do with the overflow line from the remote filler
  • Fill radiator with water and coolant
  • DONE! Clamp down the radiator lines
  • DONE! Install a bolt near the steering rack on the drivers side to anchor some zip ties that will hold the lower radiator hose in place
  • DONE! Figure out how I want to run the throttle cable
  • Buy throttle cable mounting bracket
  • Need correct drive shaft, first Fill the transmission with transmission fluid
  • DONE! Buy the right sized pulley belt
  • DONE! Mount the fuse box






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home